Animation Tests and Feedback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animation Tests and Feedback

Decided to create my own topic since I felt bad about using someone else's topic to post my stuff... especially if it's in the long run. if this is not the appropriate practice for this forum please tell me and I'll delete the post/make changes accordingly. Hopefully I'll continue to create more animations so that this won't be too empty a topic ^^;

Followed Krisoyo's advice and tried out another animation today, it helped my workflow a lot, so thank you! Drew Taichi from Digimon since I'm a big fan of the series haha (and they released key visuals for the new season yesterd-- okay I digress.)

So I tried to clean up and colour this time, played around more and hence a new list of feedback and questions resulted.

Regarding bugs, this is quite minor but thought i should say. I was customizing shortcuts today and I realized that when I assigned a new key as a shortcut, the old shortcut does not deactivate, instead, both shortcut keys can be used to achieve the same function. An example being me changing the zoom in and out shortcuts to ctrl+/- instead of =/- The problem that is caused by such a bug is that if I were to use the key for another shortcut, it would not work. For my case, I wanted to make quick flip forward have the short cut "F", but since F is already one frame backward, I could not replace it even though I've already set one frame backward as "<". The shortcuts even reverted at one point, could be due to crashing though. However, as I mentioned, it's quite a minor issue, and it seems that the shortcuts did get properly replaced once I restarted cacani.

Regarding clean ups, it's quite tedious, auto colour wise, I didn't find it very useful due to having a lot of gaps in my in betweens so in the end I had to do mostly manual fill bucketing. I'll try generating inbetweens with retain stroke connections next time to see if it reaps any results. I also initially wanted to add in more details at the end, but I realized I couldn't because I would have to regenerate the inbetweens, which causes all the clean up progress to be restarted and hence lost.

Lastly, I wanted to import a background to my animation initially, but I wasn't sure how to, since load image is more for importing a reference picture. Could anyone enlighten me on how to do it? Could it be done?
    Last edited by QuirkiDigital; 12-15-2014, 01:44 AM.

Wow looks Great! Some tips for coloring.

1. Make sure that Key Frames do not have any open gaps prior to in-betweening.
    2. Use the "Show Color Region Mode" to verify that you have no open Gaps. (Look at the picture for reference where to access it)
    3. Use the "Clean up" tool to close gaps while on the Show Color Region Mode. (Note: There are two main modes for the Clean up tool, I recommend disabling the lasso as the flow is slower with it. But try both and use the one that fits you better.)
    4. Try Retain Stroke Connection. That will help on the gaps. (Note: sometimes this function will force some strokes to gap on unwanted areas)

For Importing BG's

1. Create a Reference Layer
    2. Load Image
    3. Use the select tool to move, re-size, rotate the image to your liking.
    Last edited by Jvelasco; 12-15-2014, 07:50 AM.

Comment

• QuirkiDigital
      QuirkiDigital commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, sorry for the late reply. I managed to try out some of these tips while working on some animations; and found that show color region region mode did really help with my clean up process the lasso i found to be slower indeed, but it felt more effective for selecting small points. But I have found both the stroke and lasso useful in different situations. As for retain stroke connections, at least so far, I haven't really been able to see a really noticeable effect. Unless I'm using it incorrectly, I found that strokes only had a higher possibility of being retained if I connect strokes to the corners of their line. So I still ended up doing quite a bit of manual cleaning up. That or my key frames are too drastic, I'm not sure. In any case, thanks for all these advice. Thanks to all the help I've received on this forum, I found my workflow improving each time I used cacani, so thank you all so much

Kinda late Singapore timezone wise but here, Merry Christmas, everybody

/shrinks away in embarrassment

Comment

• Hongze
      Hongze commented
      Editing a comment
      Merry Christmas to you as well! You can use CACANi to extend the animation too!

• QuirkiDigital
      QuirkiDigital commented
      Editing a comment
      I kind of screwed up some parts while cleaning up, so it might be hard to extend at this point. But I'll try out other stuff with new animations next time. Hope you had a good Christmas!

• Jvelasco
      Jvelasco commented
      Editing a comment
      This is so AWESOME!!!!! Nice work QuikiDigital!

Nice work, Merry Christmas

Comment

• QuirkiDigital
      QuirkiDigital commented
      Editing a comment
      Merry Christmas! Hope it was a great one!

Hello QuirkiDigital, I wander if you have one of the "Cling" functions disabled? I included a picture as a reference. Can you verify you have this enabled.

Comment

• QuirkiDigital
      QuirkiDigital commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it's enabled. It works as well, just that a lot of times the strokes are not joined for in betweens, even though retain stroke connection is now automatic. I'm still not very sure of the problem myself.

• Jvelasco
      Jvelasco commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you post the 2 Key frames,and can note where are the areas that break? If there is too much rotation it will break even with the automatic stroke feature enabled.

• QuirkiDigital
      QuirkiDigital commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll be posting up something soon regarding that.

Hi, this time I have an unrehearsed, unedited video demo to show my workflow when using cacani (so it's quite long, so skip around the important parts if you want to watch I guess). Just something simple, reused some frames I did a few years back (tried to animate slow motion and failed badly for consistency reasons, (if only cacani was released 4 years ago...) so I redid it with much more ease in cacani.)

All was quite smooth sailing until the last part, where I generated inbetweens and realized that I couldn't auto colour any of the inbetweens properly, because there are gaps everywhere. If you noticed, my cling was on throughout the whole video, so that shouldn't be a problem. I even had to adjust the cling sometimes. I tried cranking up the cling before generating inbetweens during my second try, but it didn't make a difference. I don't think the movement was very drastic either, so I don't really understand why there's so many gaps. The first frame was manually coloured while the 2nd keyframe was auto coloured without much problems.

Here's the video link: http://www.livestream.com/quirkidigi...9-6a18e937988c (The last few minutes show the problem I was referring to)

Comment

• Jvelasco
      Jvelasco commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for posting your work, As a rule, make sure you verify there is not open gaps on any of the frames prior to auto-color.

• QuirkiDigital
      QuirkiDigital commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea, I ensure that's the case most of the times (unless I forgot to do it). Thanks for the advice!

Wow, silly me. Found out what's the problem for my case. Turns out that it's because I didn't turn on "retain stroke connections". In my defense, it was because the setting beside it states "auto retain connections" so I assumed it was already on, plus during the initial release the retain stroke connections option kept crashing cacani so I didn't use it much... well, it works now. Sorry for the trouble. Will test out with other animations to double check when able. Some manual fixing for colouring done.

Comment

• Jvelasco
      Jvelasco commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for posting this. I am glad that you managed to find a solution.

Side note: This is a Pokemon character it seems. Looks good!

• QuirkiDigital
      QuirkiDigital commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, sorry for troubling you all with my mistakesXD; And yea, he is. I'm a very nostalgia driven person so the fanworks I draw usually revolve around long time franchises of my childhood in the late 90s or early 2000, so I draw pokemon related stuff sometimes too, haha. On a side note, I do see quite a few other nostalgia driven people here; just from a different generation, is all. Seeing people who remember the past rather than being constantly swept away by the new (not that new isn't good but remembering the past helps people to remember their roots, I think), kinda makes me happy. Just wanted to say that It's a small, but nice community here.

Hi, this time I bring an old illustration of mine which I recreated in Cacani. Used the technique demonstrated by MaxCajazeiras to create this. Wasn't as easy as I hoped it would be because there were some glitches during the colouring stage (not sure how to explain them). But anyway, yea Doesn't loop perfectly but I think I won't dwell on it further lol.

Edit: Now that I try to recall, I think the glitches usually appear on gradients, this is the first time I worked with gradients in Cacani and it's also the first time I see those colour glitches. They tend to occur on the hair or face; which is where I applied the gradients. They kept flashing I recall.

Recreated from this: http://quirkyllogical.deviantart.com...t&ga_changes=1
    Last edited by QuirkiDigital; 01-17-2015, 08:41 PM.

Comment

• Hongze
      Hongze commented
      Editing a comment
      Very dreamy! You need to do more of these.

Regarding the gradients flashing: I take it you were using the latest version?

• QuirkiDigital
      QuirkiDigital commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! haha I'll see what I can come up with I guessXD And yes, this is done with the latest version

Fixed and coloured the animation test I did the first time I posted on the forums I like how I'm getting more and more familiar with this program with each use. I'll probably want to try embarking on more serious animations/projects etc but I have a tendency to do things in short bursts then lose all motivation for a while; so I predict I might disappear again after this lol. since I posted 3 times in 2 days... Typing it out made me realize I have quite a troublesome nature, hmm:/ Then again one of the reasons why I'm animating is probably to procrastinate from schoolwork and school just started this week... (what have I been doing this entire holiday)

Comment

Hi again, the glitch I was talking about the other time showed up in the render this time. It only happens when I use gradients. could this glitch be replicated or am I doing something wrong here? Colours are applied with auto colour using the first frame, then with some manual fixing.

Comment

• Hongze
        Hongze commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey QuirkiD! Can send the file to support@cacani.sg? We'll take a look.

• QuirkiDigital
        QuirkiDigital commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Hongze, sorry for the late reply. Just sent the file over, thank you!

Man, I messed up quite badly on this one. I thought it would make things more organized+easier so I created the animation on various cells; but now I'm stuck not knowing where to put the knee because it's supposed to be in front of the character's right hand at first but as the animation goes the forearm overlaps and goes above the knee. The scarf is supposed to be behind the knee too; ahh I messed up the layering so bad-- shouldn't have tried using that method while being lightheaded><;; I'll probably think of something after I cool down and rest a bit but meanwhile, any advice? If you were animating such a scene, how would you do it? Thanks in advance ;w;

Comment

• Krisoyo
        Krisoyo commented
        Editing a comment
        I think what I would do, would be to move the layers where it changes which ones overlap, so they're on the same cel. (You can move layers between cels btw.)
        Then, for the frames where the top layer is supposed to be below the other layer, use the segment tool to turn those lines hidden.

A thing that I learned recently and that also is important to note. Particularly for stuff like this. Is that in the top right corner of the screen, there's a button that says 'all layers' when you hover the cursor above it. And when it is active you'll edit all the layers on the cel you're working on simultaneously. So when you're gonna hide the lines on just that one layer, turn the 'all layers' option off. So that you'll only affect the lines that are on that layer, making the process much smoother.
        (The 'all layers' function is also very useful to know for making stuff like color separation lines, and other stuff too. The all layers button also affects clinging between layers btw. so if you draw a line on a layer with the 'all layers' option off it won't cling to the lines on the other layers on the same cel.)

• QuirkiDigital
        QuirkiDigital commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting, thanks for sharing! Regarding the reason why I did them all on separate cels; it was because I wanted to avoid using the segment tool to hide lines. Maybe I'm not using it efficiently, but I almost always have to manually hide several lines when using the segment tool to show the overlapping object over the other. I found that tedious, so I was kinda trying out for a workaround, maybe the workload's about the same, haha.

And I didn't know about the all layers button lol! All these time I've been using the workaround of locking the layer in order to work within only my active layer. This might help make my workflow smoother, thanks!

Managed to fix the colouring issue a while back (though now I see all the drawing issues...), and also did something else. I realized that the bone tool crashes on me quite often, especially when I get the motion of setting the arc wrong...

Comment

Long time no post, recently got a perpetual license and started playing around with Cacani again

Also found a potential glitch in version 1.2 while using cacani, it seems that sometimes the segment tool affects the whole line instead of just the segment. Undoing and redoing seem to help but since it didn't use to be like this in my recollection I decided to mention it. Below are the attached or linked animation tests as well as a gif of the glitch I mentioned.

https://youtu.be/C_HZGTlQYio

Comment

nothing much to show, another small attempt- was aiming to create a small animation which required no manual cleanup, but still had to do some (mainly on the collar and the eye where the not hidden part of the stroke goes over the eye lashes). Started the animation off with a part of the stroke hidden so that when the eye closes, it will automatically hide the remaining parts without me doing anything else. I then hid the visible lines within the eyelashes by filling it black. Worked pretty well although there were still some lines that needed fixing. I've also been trying to animate something more ambitious but my current workflow required too much manual fixing so those are staying as wips for the time being.

Hmm... advice on how to minimize manual fixing and improve workflow would be good, thanks.

Comment

• Hongze
            Hongze commented
            Editing a comment
            You can use masks as well to reduce the frame by frame tweaking. Another alternative I can share, is that because the act of blinking is so fast, the closing portion can be totally ignored. So you jump straight into the closed eye frame. Then focus on the opening part.

Will get a quick tutorial up for this. Stay tuned!

• QuirkiDigital
            QuirkiDigital commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Hongze! Shall look forward to that tutorial then!

Today is the birthday of Ashihara Daisuke, author of the manga "World Trigger". Animated his avatar as a little tribute using CACANi I usually just play around with anime characters so animating a cartoony character was kinda fun.

Original link: https://twitter.com/QuirkiDigital/st...397889/photo/1

Comment

Working...
          X