Features for Tradigital (Traditional and Digital) Animatiors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Features for Tradigital (Traditional and Digital) Animatiors

So far, the product works great, good performance, good pen sensitivity support (I have a Huion Tablet, so having it work with the software is great). There are some features I would want implemented though:

1) As a personal preference, I don't really like the feel of vector based drawing on the whole, but a vector based workflow is useful.
    Is it possible to implement a bitmap to vector conversion feature where you can scan in line drawings from a scanner or import line drawings from another program, and have them be converted to vector, as well as a mass clean function to remove dirt and stray marks from said line drawings? It would really help as some artists still prefer to work with bitmap and or traditional line drawings, but would like to utilize the advantages of vector graphics.

2) A flip view where you can flip just the view of your canvas horizontally so that you can check your drawings as well as draw certain parts easier. Such as the flip horizontally button in Paint tool SAI.

3) While the coloring system works well, at times movement gets really crazy when animating to where character models change in some styles, to where there is no way I can color my animation reliably in the automated fashion, often times feeling like I sacrifice overall control for ease of use. Maybe a system along with the default that allows for the placement of colored hint markings on an inbetween or keyframe that would help the automated process in figuring out what colors go in which region when the original reference frame changes a lot or inbetweens have multiple overlapping parts. The LazyBrush Plugin for TVPaint comes to mind, where you could use colored scribbles to guide the software in painting areas in frames and inbetweens that would otherwise be a pain to correct.

4) An Exposure or X-Sheet Function, an essential animation tool to plan out animation, as well as figure out timing and actions, and making notes as well, would be extremely helpful if you could also export the X-Sheet to PDF for other animators on the team.

Highly appreciate all the support you've given to the other members, it really helps when developers reach out to ask how they can improve their software or help users troubleshoot problems they have. With a bit more development and additional features, I look forward to someday seeing CACANi as a primary animation tool for 2D Animation for the new generation.

I just want to offer a quick answer to number 2. You can easily use the select tool to select your drawing then right click to flip the image horizontally to check mistakes like you can in Sai and then flip it back when you're done.

Comment

• IoKusanagi
      IoKusanagi commented
      Editing a comment
      That may be true, however, it creates tedium that breaks concentration as you have to select the select tool, select the drawing, flip it, deselect, go back to your drawing tool, draw in corrections or add in new lines, grab the select tool again, flip the drawing again, deselect the drawing, and reselect your drawing tool. More steps creates more tedium and adds more time away from the drawing, which is why the flip horizontally tool or "Invert view" button in SAI was implemented in the first place, one button or hotkey away from doing a step as opposed to 5 steps to complete the same action. It's all about economy of movement, on and offscreen, that's why many digital painters spend time memorizing complicated hotkeys in the first place.

Yes, your solution is an answer, but it's not an ideal answer, so to speak. Believe it or not, when in practice on something where concentration, dexterity and speed is key, easy is not the same as efficient. I can easily go to my menu bar and click the eraser brush to erase a line I just drew, or, I can use the universally memorized CTRL+Z. When you perform a macro function to do an objective, you focus on what the steps are and use conscious effort to perform it, sharing it with the conscious effort needed to draw, when you can simplify the macro function into a micro function, such as flipping the canvas with an unconscious button press, you keep your conscious focus on drawing, and relegate "flip the canvas" to subconscious effort, i.e. motor skills to press a button.

I know software is not easy to develop, and so I understand if something as small as this isn't implemented, but when it evolves into something full fledge, the end result will be very overwhelming to new users (Why many beginners use Paint Tool Sai as opposed to Photoshop, given the option) It's important that actions that are a basis for digital drawing can be used in a natural manner rather than trying to use multiple actions to perform something that can be done with one. You can argue that this makes it a crutch for people to rely on small features for everything, but isn't that the entire reason that we have the software to begin with: to cut out most of the tedious work in order to have more time to do what we actually want to do?

I tend to speak at length on little things sometimes, so I do apologize for the wall of text, but because the little things are grossly under appreciated, I feel the need to remind why they are needed in the first place. If I come off as a bit harsh, unthankful for the advice (quite the opposite, always glad when people suggest tips) and overbearing, it's only cause something a simple as an invert view hotkey or button can be just as important as having a proper color fill tool.

I'm not even going to bother answering you. I'm not a developer, I was just trying to give you a helpful tip. I've been doing digital for 10yrs and this lecture was unnecessary, but I'm sure it will be useful to the developers to see detailed reasons why it's important to some users.

Comment

Hi IoKusanagi! Awesome suggestions!

Vector conversion: Something we have been interested in, but not an easy thing to get right.

Flip horizontal: We do have it! It's under View menu > Flip Horizontal / Flip Vertical. No default shortcut assigned, but you can assign one in Customise Shortcuts.

Auto painting: Yes, we are constantly considering how best to improve it.

Exposure sheet: Yes, another frequently requested feature. We definitely hear you.

Hi DraconianRain: Thanks for the helpful tips!

Please do not hesitate to voice your opinions! That either of you are willing to spend time to type these messages show us we are on the right track. Thanks!

Comment

• IoKusanagi
        IoKusanagi commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you very much for hearing users out on implementing new features in CACANi, as well as helping with features that have already been implemented.
    Working...
    X